walking west...

we are...east of Eden

July 18, 2012

Thrice Rebuffed, 3.7

Had a great conversation with our "Good Samaritans," we spoke of their home in the Sangre de Cristo range southeast of Salida, we spoke of the economy in Texas, the fickle weather in the mountains, mentoring adolescents, and Unaccompanied Alien Children.

I arrived safely back at the car at 3:00pm thanks to the super-nice Colorado couple in the red pickup filled with large dogs! I found Caleb tucked safely in the car listening to classical music and playing games on his iTouch...none the worse for the wear. If you don't believe the story of my shoe, here is video testimony:



The only remaining mystery was Nic's status...I calculated that the earliest we could expect him was 3:30pm. I established 4:30pm as my drop-dead, official panic time. The time dragged by and my mind was racing with ALL of the worst-case scenarios for Nic - struck by lightning, a rock slide, a slip on a wet rock, him laying up there with a broken leg, etc. The panic time approached with no sign of Nic. I carefully reviewed our route and re-calculated hiking times, and re-adjusted my panic time to 6:00pm (I "kicked the can down the road," maybe I should be a Government Budget Consultant???).

Though we were several miles from civilization and deep in a forest, my cell phone was able to send and receive texts. Here is a message I sent to Brenda (tucked cozily and dry at the Silver Ridge Lodge in Salida) at 5:02pm:

"We are still waiting on nic...im not officially panicked but is getting close to the time where he would have had plenty of time to get back...will you find the sheriffs number and find out what the missing hiker procedure is...i will be getting worried if he is not here by 6 or 630"

Here is the message I sent to Brenda (still tucked cozily and dry at the Silver Ridge Lodge in Salida, perhaps she is wiser than us?) at 5:06pm:

"Nevermind..."

While I was composing and sending the initial text, Nic rounded the corner and was making his way down the hill towards us. What a relief!