walking west...

we are...east of Eden

August 21, 2013

La Plata 5

Decision Time
Standing at the edge of beautiful Alan Lake it became apparent that we had gone too far south to begin our ascent to the basin. The jagged cliffs that loom over the west side of the lake also separate us from the basin due south of La Plata Peak. At this point we had three options:

  1. Go straight up the cliffs and connect with La Plata's SW Ridge or at least get into the right basin and then go up the normal trail. These cliffs were reminiscent of our Tabeguache adventure last summer.
  2. Go to the base of the cliffs on the north side of Alan Lake and work our way around the flank, working our way into the right basin, or...
  3. Go back down to the car.
As a flatlander, I have a finite amount of energy to spend on the ascent and must keep some in reserve to make it safely down. I was out of ascending energy so Option 1 was out for me. The same for Option 2, the flank jutted so far out to the east it seemed it would take longer to work our way around it than to go over. I decided to go back down, La Plata will be there another day. Nic decided to go over (he lives in Denver, likes reduced oxygen levels, and is in better shape than I).

Separation
Unlike our separation last year, we were able to look each other in the eye and impart words of wisdom as we separated. Nic told me to take my time and be careful going down the steep mountain. I told him not to take any unnecessary risks because many people enjoyed his company and the mountain would still be there on another day. With that, he left to attack the cliffs to the north and I started my descent to the southeast hoping to find a less steep path down to the valley.

Reroute
As I moved slightly down towards the southeast, I began to think (I do my best thinking when alone in the mountains?!?!)...Nic is going to be gone for at least 4 more hours as he climbs the walls protecting Alan Lake, connects with the SW Ridge, summits La Plata, and makes it back down to the car. With all of this extra time on my hands, why not flank these cliffs and enter the basin south of La Plata? Yeah, why not? So I began to move laterally along the base of these cliffs, it was amazingly fun 4 point (hands and feet) scrambling over large boulders! After 45 minutes of scrambling on the boulders, I made it around the flank only to find another flank obscuring the view of the basin and La Plata. It took me another 30 minutes of scrambling but I was finally in view of the CORRECT basin and lovely La Plata Peak!


First view of La Plata and part of the basin, click to enlarge

On the south edge of the basin there is a shallow crater, the rim of this crater is perfectly situated for a broad look at this basin. The only problem was that I had to lose a few hundred feet of elevation and then regain it to get to the crater's edge, a minor problem (says I gasping and wheezing just thinking about that moment).


When I arrived at the highest point of this crater rim, I was overwhelmed. It is intensely beautiful, and expansive, and rugged! I was made to stand at this place! The jagged cliffs that guard Alan Lake now to my south and the broad basin below La Plata was completely laid out before me. Rising above the west end of the basin was the ridge that led up to the peak. La Plata towered majestically over the north side of the basin!

I spent a good amount of time here soaking in the views, taking video, and looking for Nic walking along the jagged ridge. The adrenaline rush that I had at this moment ALMOST convinced me to make a push for the summit. Better judgment took over and I decided against it, the clouds looked like they might be building up for a storm AND I would have to descend several hundred feet into the basin and then regain this altitude. As a flatlander I am not a big fan of giving up elevation once I have attained it...


Solo
As I enjoyed my time up on the crater's rim, I realized that there was no trace of humanity in this place, I was completely alone. No sign of Nic or any other person on the ridge. No people in the expansive basin. No sign of human life as far as I could see. The fishermen were out of sight at Alan Lake in the other basin and may as well have been on the moon. I also realized that because of my obscure route, I was probably one of the few humans (relatively speaking) to stand at this place and see this particular view! It was a good feeling, the road less travelled...