walking west...

we are...east of Eden

July 15, 2012

Thrice Rebuffed, Intro

Mount Everest has a couple of local names - the Nepalese call it Sagarmatha and the Tibetans call it Chomolungma.
  • Chomolungma means "Goddess Mother of the World."
  • The Sherpas, native people that do all of the hard work that allows western adventurers to reach the summit, are religiously a blend of Tibetan Buddhism and Native Animism.
  • As such, they believe the mountain must be honored and further, the mountain chooses whether it will be climbed or not.
There is a good deal deal of ritual at the beginning of the climbing season to earn the favor of the mountain.

I am not converting to a blend of Tibetan Buddhism and Native Animism BUT I am beginning to think that Tabeguache Peak will not allow me to climb her (or him, or it)

Three times I have attempted and three times I have been rebuffed. I am beginning to take it personally, I am on the verge of quitting all together, or I am on the verge of making it my life's quest...