walking west...

we are...east of Eden

July 15, 2012

Thrice Rebuffed, 1.0

In August of 2008, I took a sabbatical trip to Colorado...my goal was to hike to Brown's Lake near Salida and set up a base camp. From base camp I would climb nearby 14ers Shavano, Tabeguache, and Antero.

Brown's Lake, elevation +/- 11,260 ft.
Establishing a base camp for five days requires a lot of supplies. The only way to get them up to Brown's Lake was to strap them on my back and carry. After day one of a very heavy pack and six miles of ascent, my left knee decides to lock up in the middle of the night. By morning it loosened up a little but we decided to scrap all summit attempts, Tab was first on the list, for the sake of my knee. Tabeguache rebuff number one...

In case you were wondering, I did make it back down after an amazing week of chillin' at Brown's Lake. This video is my testimony...and the most viewed on my YouTube account: